Monday 6 August 2012

Olympic Highlight


Getting quite tired of the constant Golds and Silvers being hung around the necks of GB athletes – this ruling the world is so tedious – and resisting the temptation to call family and friends in Australia and say ‘na, na, na, na, na’, I was surprised and delighted to find a deep but quirky joy in the first round of the women’s 400m hurdles.

London 2012 Logo

Yes, I liked it a little that one of the fastest qualifiers from Jamaica was a Melanie Walker (54.78) – who clearly didn’t, walk that is. I also chuckled that the Liberian athlete who didn’t qualify for the next round, Raasin McIntosh (57.39) clearly wasn’t, racin’, that is. But my joy in the misfortune of another, which is obviously a dark side that I must address at some future point, was taken to higher giggly level altogether by the Bulgarian athlete Vania Stombolova – who did, at the 4th hurdle. With a surname like that I would have chosen a seated discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment